Saturday, April 6, 2019

Medically Cleared!

Attempted to make microwave popcorn by putting popcorn kernels in a brown bag. The bag ended up catching fire in the microwave, and it just so happened that my name was on it! 
So I’ve made a record...two whole months in Sick Bay. The burn took its time, but it’s (almost) done healing and I just arrived back in Kedougou. I could feel the instant change in temperature the minute the night bus going there left Dakar. It’s hot season, but Dakar is untouched by it because the area has its own special weather due to its proximity to the ocean. Goodbye 75 and breezy, hello 110 and greasy. 

Looking back, being in Sick Bay for such a long time had its ups and downs. Up side: I got to know a lot of volunteers that came in for medical reasons, including another Kedougou volunteer that stayed for a while because of a broken heal. Also...I’m not gonna lie, but the food in Dakar was bougie. I put all the pics of Dakar food in nice collage below ;) 


Down side: literally sitting and waiting for my burn to heal so I can go back to site. I was so obsessed about it’s progress, I even searched scientific articles about how burns heal and why it takes so long. So now I know EVERYTHING about granulation tissue, rate of epithiliazation, exudate, slough, debridement, inflammation, necrosis, and scar formation. I didn't like missing out on trainings and projects in Kedougou, and even though it's not my fault, I felt guilty for being in Dakar when I was supposed to be at site.

Say hi to Ami the cat!
So far I’ve spent half my service in Dakar, but it wasn’t time wasted. I became an unofficial intern at the headquarters and worked on small grants and monitoring and evaluation stuff. I also got to know the Peace Corps volunteers working there, and had the opportunity to pet sit their (very large) cat for a night with the other Kedougou volunteer! 

Overall, it’s been a trip. I’m back in Kedougou though, and ready continue! 

2 comments:

  1. congrats on medical clearance and belated happy birthday! hopefully the remainder of your tour will be "medically uneventful!" Wishing you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is at the same time a terrific subject matter as i somewhat certainly wanted taking a look at. This may not quite frequently that we include possibility to lift weights a major issue. njaddictionresources.com

    ReplyDelete

Closure

On the way forward... It’s been more than three months since my unexpected return home from Kedougou, Senegal due to Covid 19. ...