Friday, March 1, 2019

Christmas Email



Merry Christmas everyone from Senegal! It’s been a crazy three months between now and training, but I made it through and as of three weeks ago, I’m officially a Peace Corps Volunteer! I haven’t been too good about sharing photos and updating everyone on my experiences, so I thought I would compile some of it in a nice Christmas email.

As I’m writing this, it’s hot in Senegal. The kind of heat that can dry a pair of soaking wet jeans in 30 minutes. This is the “cold season” here in Kedougou, a southern region in Senegal that will be my home for the next two years, Inshallah (God willing). My new home has chickens and goats roaming around freely, corn drying on the roof tops, and huts with squash vines growing on the walls. The sound of women pounding millet and rice all day long is always heard in the distance. I know what you’re thinking…and yes, this is a typical Peace Corps site with no running water or electricity.
Since moving here, days go by slowly. The men go to the fields to harvest peanuts, the women stay at home and cook, and the children are all at school. Lately, I’ve been spending my days hanging out with the women during the day and learning Jaxanke (the local language) with the men and children at night by the fire. Since moving here, I can’t help but think how raw this whole experience; life can be so rich when you’re not distracting yourself by the news or sitting behind a screen all day.

That's right folks, I got a hut dog.
But it goes without saying that these past three months have been overwhelming. It’s been a rollercoaster ride of emotions, where there would be days that I’m absolutely in love with the place and others when I just daydream of escaping to Europe. The biggest challenge is that it’s hard feeling like myself when it’s expected of me to speak a completely different language and conform to a strange culture. And of course, Senegal can take a tole on your physical health as well! Let’s just say…Western toilets are a God send. For these reasons, I have seen my peers around me leave to go back home. But despite these lows, I learn something new about the Senegalese and myself every day.

The Senegalese are very giving, honest, patient, and happy people that love to eat, laugh, and take on life one hour at a time. Being here, the culture has taught me that the only way to live a happy life is to live in the moment and let things happen “Dondin Dondin” (little by little). It’s this valuable lesson that gets me up in the morning and keeps me inspired to stay for the long haul.

With that being said, even though I miss home now more than ever during the holiday season, I try to remind myself to be in the present. I’m thankful to have an experience that is so rare and beautiful.
Partay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Closure

On the way forward... It’s been more than three months since my unexpected return home from Kedougou, Senegal due to Covid 19. ...